Find answers to questions about what is and isn't in California Baby products.
Find answers to questions about product development, safety, expiration and more.
|SKIN CARE FAQ
Find information about specific skin care concerns including sensitivities, sun care, allergies, and more.
- Q. Where can I find more information about your products?
- Our site has the most up to date and complete information on California Baby products. Jessica's blog, the mOMtras also offers seasonal suggestions and highlights products and ingredients.
- Q. Is California Baby Diaper Cream safe for use with cloth diapers?
- California Baby uses USP pharmaceutical grade lanolin, which is ultra-purified, instead of petroleum based or fish oil ingredients as a moisture barrier in our diaper rash cream. Because lanolin will melt when diapers are washed in the hot water cycle, our Calming Diaper Rash Cream should not leave a residue or affect the absorbency of cloth diapers. We suggest you patch test prior to use.
- Q. What is the best way to store my California Baby products?
- California Baby products are made in small batches with the finest, freshest natural ingredients.
Store creams and oils in a cool, dry dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. This especially important if you are 'stocking up' by buying multiple products. The bathroom is not the best place to store your products but the hall or bedroom closet is. When purchasing our gallons, we suggest you refill into a smaller bottle and keep it out of the shower unless it will be used completely within one month. If you are reusing your pump or bottle, we suggest you sanitize it with rubbing alcohol between uses. Here's how: pour a small amount into your bottle and shake, pump out or squeeze thru the dispensing cap. Leave it to dry completely (overnight is best) on paper towels. The alcohol will evaporate without a trace of residue.
- Q. How do I determine the expiration date of a particular product?
- "Best by" dates are printed on the bottom of our bottles and jars and stamped into the crimped seal of our tubes. If a "best by" date is not available, to denote the age of your products, refer to the lot number on the bottom of the container. The first number represents the last digit of the year the product was made. Count forward three years (two years for sunscreen products), that's your expiration date. We recommend that they be replaced after 3 years (sunscreen products after 2 years). But follow the rule "If in doubt—throw it out!" This goes for all personal care products (and moms, this means make-up to).
- Q. Where are California Baby products made?
- California Baby products are proudly made in the USA.
- Q. Are your products safe for pets?
- Our products are made from natural ingredients that are safe for both humans and pets. Please note, however, that we have never tested our products on animals. Also, our products are not meant for consumption. So, if you have concerns about using a product on your pet or if you have a pet that has ingested a product, your veterinarian is your best resource
- Q. The product I purchased is a little darker (or lighter) than my last bottle, is this normal?
- Natural products can vary in scent, color and to some extent texture. As natural ingredients are crop based, there are many [natural] factors that can affect the look of a product based on the growing season, the time of year the ingredient was harvested/processed, etc. These variances are what make natural products unique. Products can darker over time as the herbs become more pronounced; herbs may fall to the bottom of the bottle (simply shake to mix). Essential oils are volatile (evaporate as they release their scent) and you may notice a slight change in the blend. This is normal. California Baby essential oil blends are complex and expected to be enjoyed in each stage of the "opening" of our high purity oils.
- Q. Do you use organic ingredients? Are any of your products certified organic?
- Our Facility:
The California Baby FDA registered manufacturing facility is also Certified USDA NOP Organic. Whereas many skincare companies function without any regulation and often say whatever they want about their products, California Baby follows strict set regulatory protocols (checked and certified by a 3rd party) so that you receive only the best and safest products. To operate a FDA registered facility (licensed to make drugs) is huge and the organic certification is the icing on the cake!
California Baby continues to lead the way in the purchasing and contracting with organic farmers in the USA. We work closely with them and purchase years in advance so that the farmer knows he has a home for his organic crop avoiding the fluctuations in market conditions. Jessica, California Baby founder & developer, also works closely with raw material suppliers to increase their organic content and pushes for innovation in Green Chemistry production process. However, sometimes, due to our strict allergen standard, organic might not be the best option. For example, we require that our vegetable oils be processed in a nut-free facility. If the only organic option for vegetable oil is one that comes from a facility that also processes nuts, we will chose the non-organic option—so that we are guaranteed allergen free material thus avoiding cross contamination. Our customers can always rest assured that we are continuously using and updating our formulas with organic material that also meets our strict allergen profile so that you receive the healthiest, most natural ingredients available.
- Q. I am a Vegan. What products can I use?
- All California Baby products start with a vegetarian point of view. We make two products that utilize animal ingredients: California Baby Diaper Rash Cream contains an ultra-purified lanolin and our sunblock sticks contain beeswax. The choice was made to use lanolin and beeswax as water barriers instead of the typical (cheaper and cruder) petroleum and fish oil alternatives. Lanolin is extracted from the wool of the sheep and is not considered a body fat. Beeswax is hypoallergenic and is considered acceptable by many vegetarians.
- Q. Do you test on animals?
- California Baby does NOT conduct product or ingredient tests of any kind on animals. We test in vitro or on humans.
- Q. Are your products safe for pregnant women to use?
- California Baby Super Sensitive products (no fragrance) are an excellent choice for use during pregnancy. We recommend that any expectant mother check with her physician before changing her skin care routine with our products, or any other line of products.
- Q. My child has eaten some of our California Baby products; what should I do?
- Our products smell good and children may want to take a taste. Although safe and natural, if ingested, your pediatrician should always be your first point of contact. If you cannot contact your pediatrician, call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.
- Q. What quality standards are used for your tote bags?
- Our tote bags meets the toy industry standards (EN71), CONEG and California Prop 65 for environmental standards.
- Q. I am concerned that I may have had a reaction to one of your products. What do I do?
- Contact your physician. In the case of life-threatening emergencies, call 911 or go the nearest emergency room. If you're not sure or just want to be safe, call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Your physician or poison control should always be your first point of contact.
- Q. What is the best way to remove sunscreen from the skin?
- Because our sunscreens are water resistant, we recommend you wash with our bodywash & water, but the trick is to apply the wash first (without water) allowing the cleanser to break up the oils. For very resistant areas, try applying our lotion or massage oil to break up the sunscreen and then, cleanser and bathe as usual.
- Q. Are California Baby products and packaging BPA, PVC and phthalate free?
- Yes, all California Baby products and packaging are free of BPA, PVC and phthalates. Phthalates in skin care products may be found in synthetic fragrances - California Baby only uses pure aromatherapy quality essential oils to scent our products. Our bottles are made from HDPE (high density polyethylene)—a material that is safe and PVC, BPA and phthalate free. HDPE is accepted by most recycling facilities across the country. All California Baby bottles are resistant to high temperatures, cracking and won't leak chemicals into the product.
- Q. Do you offer any of your products in larger sizes?
- Many products are available in half and one gallon sizes, please click here for a direct link to our 'Bulk/Gallons' page.
- Q. What is the cleanest and safest way to sanitize my bottles before I refill my products?
- The following steps are recommended to sanitize your container when refilling or reusing our bottles:
1. Remove all old product from the bottle using hot water.
2. Add approx. 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol to the empty bottle and swish around, coating the inside of the bottle, be sure to include the cap/pump/sprayer too; Pour out.
3. Allow to air-dry completely by placing on a paper towel (upside down) overnight. The alcohol will evaporate completely without leaving a residue.
4. Refill with your favorite California Baby product!